Posted by: digibirder | September 29, 2009

September catch-up

So, here we are again with a catch-up post. I’ll get the hang of this one day, don’t worry.

I have, it has to be said, been trying to get quite a few photos edited, and having discovered the batch processing technique in Picture Window, I thought this would be super-quick and enable me to get them onto the blog in double-quick time. As it’s only for the blog, I didn’t feel a need to individually edit each RAW file to such a high standard. I managed to get most of them done, but then ran into some problems. We had been on a walk last weekend and I took my compact camera with me to save lugging the big camera and lens. I took a few photos and downloaded them onto the PC. As these were .jpgs, I didn’t make any copies in another folder as I do with the RAW images. I started to resize them and the batch process window went a bit funny and wouldn’t progress any further. I couldn’t close the window without completing the process, but I couldn’t complete the process as the buttons were greyed out! The only thing that came to mind was to remove the images from the batch process window and start again. Now, stupid me wasn’t paying that much attention when the warning message came up. What I didn’t realise was that deleting them from the processing window was also deleting them from the hard drive! And it even bypassed the recycle bin!! I have exchanged emails with the creator of the programme and he tells me that this ‘bug’ was fixed in a subsequent upgrade! I have tried an image rescue programme but no luck. I didn’t take any really outstanding images, but there were a couple I rather liked. I’ll have to go back and take some more.

OK, on with the (late) news.

Back in June, just before we went to Scotland, we were camping with some friends in the Yorkshire Dales (this never reached the blog for all the usual reasons) and during a walk we came across a lovely campsite – much nicer than the one we were on. We stopped and had a look round and decided we would go there next time. Well, that time came and Keith and I went there a couple of weekends ago. The campsite is called Howgill Lodge and it is in a very quiet and picturesque location. The weather was glorious all weekend.

We finished work at lunchtime on the Friday and dashed home to finish off the packing and set off mid-afternoon. We arrived about 6pm – quite a bit later than intended as there were a couple of places where we were delayed by queues of rush-hour traffic – and soon had the trailer tent pitched. We put a few things away and then had a wash and brush-up and drove to a nearby pub for something to eat. Well, the pub was actually the New Inn  in the village of Appletreewick, which is the location of the previous campsite we stayed at. Drove back to the site and crawled into sleeping bag – best night’s sleep in ages!

Saturday 12th Sept – we hadn’t taken much in the way of provisions, intending to call somewhere on the journey there, but because of the traffic jams we had decided to keep going. Therefore we did not have anything in for breakfast, so we drove into Skipton to do a bit of shopping, but first priority was to eat, so we found a nice little café and had a full English breakfast. There was also a market in progress so we had a wander round there, looked in a few outdoor shops, and then drove back to the site. After lunch we went for a walk along the River Wharfe, just down from the site.


IMG_0370Not sure of the name of this bridge – we crossed over and walked back along the opposite river bank. There were a few Dippers flying back and forth, but too fast to photograph

IMG_0374They must have had quite a bit of rain recently, as this field was a bit flooded

IMG_0375Barden Bridge, where we bought a lovely ice cream – this is quite close to the campsite

IMG_0395Passed this Buddleia with dozens of butterflies on it

IMG_0398Back at the site, Keith and the sacrificial fillet steak

IMG_0399Our little private corner

Sunday 13th Sept – after breakfast we made some sandwiches and set off for another walk, again straight from the campsite. This time we walked along the Wharfe in the opposite direction towards Burnsall (although we didn’t go that far). Again, it was a pleasant day – just right for walking – not too hot, not too cold.

IMG_0401Look carefully in the centre and you will see a Dipper

IMG_0402Look carefully in the centre and you will see a Long-tailed Tit

After a while, the walk took us away from the river and up over the hills. After a fairly long pull we found a place to sit and have our lunch.

IMG_0409Looking back down the path we’d taken

IMG_0411Attempt at light and shadows

IMG_0419Just after our lunch stop – the view over the valley towards the campsite

IMG_0424Trying to get something with the field and stone wall patterns

IMG_0426In the nearby village this Great Spotted Woodpecker was looking for a tree but found a telegraph post instead.

IMG_0427At the back of the campsite we came across these gorgeous furry chickens

After a bit of a relax and a cup of tea, we went a walk round the campsite. It is laid out into different levels, so most pitches have a lovely view. They also have static caravans to rent and they do bed and breakfast as well. As we wandered round we came across more Buddleia covered in butterflies.

We had a salad for dinner, washed down with a rather nice red wine. I was amused at the description on the label. I know some of the wine buffs on TV make quite far-fetched comments about the bouquet or taste of wine, but I completely cracked up at this one. It was a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon 2007, from the Colchagua Valley, and its description included the following: ‘A proportion of this reserve-quality 100% Cabernet Sauvignon has been aged in oak for 8 months in order to enhance the complexity’. OK so far, but the next bit is the best: ‘An initial bouquet of plums, berry fruits and lead pencils opens up sensations of chocolate, dried fruit and vanilla on the palate’. Yes, you read that correctly – lead pencils. I can’t say I’ve ever sniffed a lead pencil, let alone detected the bouquet of one in a wine.


IMG_0435Red Admiral

IMG_0438Red Admiral, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell – they were all over the bushes and on the ground

IMG_0449Small Tortoiseshell

Monday 14th Sept – our last day, but we arranged with the owners to stay until later on in the day, rather than be off the site by midday as per the rules. The journey home isn’t too great so we didn’t really need to set off too early. We did a bit of packing and then decided to go into Skipton and have another look round. After another wander round the market and surrounding streets, we walked to the Leeds/Liverpool canal basin to see all the colourful barges. Back at the site, we finished off our packing, folded the trailer tent up and set off home, arriving around early evening. A lovely weekend, but I was quite tired. Trailer tent wheeled into the garage, car unloaded, shower, takeaway delivered, bed.




I had the following day off work, and went off on a little photo outing all by myself. I was going to add it here, but I think I’ll leave that for another post.



  1. Sounds like an excellent break. Glad you’re catching up as I always enjoy your posts and pictures.

    A Dipper is still on my much wanted list 🙂

    Looking forward to your “day out on my own” pictures.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: